On August 11, 2000, the President signed Executive Order 13166, "Improving Access to Services for Persons with Limited English Proficiency" (PDF). The Executive Order requires Federal agencies to examine the services they provide, identify any need for services to those with limited English proficiency (LEP), and develop and implement a system to provide those services so LEP persons can have meaningful access to them. It is expected that agency plans will provide for such meaningful access consistent with, and without unduly burdening, the fundamental mission of the agency. The Executive Order also requires that the Federal agencies work to ensure that recipients of Federal financial assistance provide meaningful access to their LEP applicants and beneficiaries.
To assist Federal agencies in carrying out these responsibilities, the U.S. Department of Justice has issued a Policy Guidance Document, "Enforcement of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 - National Origin Discrimination Against Persons With Limited English Proficiency" (2002 LEP Guidance). This LEP Guidance sets forth the compliance standards that recipients of Federal financial assistance must follow to ensure that their programs and activities normally provided in English are accessible to LEP persons and thus do not discriminate on the basis of national origin in violation of Title VI's prohibition against national origin discrimination.
Overview of Executive Order 13166, Federal Coordination and Compliance Section, Civil Rights Division, U.S. Department of Justice
Language Access Assessment and Planning Tool for Federally Conducted and Federally Assisted Programs (PDF), May 9, 2011, Federal Coordination and Compliance Section, Civil Rights Division, U.S. Department of Justice
District Court Upholds Suspension of Bankruptcy Trustee for Failing to Comply with Agency's Language Access Plan, Memorandum and Order, Pereira v. U.S. Department of Justice, 16 CIV 2599 (S.D.N.Y.,May 11, 2016)
Information for Recipients
Department of Justice Final Guidance to Federal Financial Assistance Recipients Regarding Title VI Prohibition Against National Origin Discrimination Affecting Limited English Proficient Persons, June 18, 2002
Information for Federal Agencies
- Memorándum para las Agencias federales de parte del Fiscal general, Eric Holder, que reafirma los mandatos del Decreto ejecutivo 13166. 17 de febrero de 2011. (Spanish)
- В Меморандуме, разосланном федеральным ведомствам от имени Министра юстиции Эрика Холдера, дается повторное подтверждение поручений, содержащихся в Приказе Президента № 13166 – 17 февраля 2011 г (Russian)
- 司法部長 Eric Holder 致聯邦機構的備忘錄，重申第 13166 號行政命令 – 2011 年 2 月 17 日 (Simplified Chinese)
- 에릭 홀더 미 법무장관이 대통령 행정 명령 13166의 지시를 재천명하며 연방기관에 보내는 메모 – 2011년 2월 17일 (Korean)
- Thông tư gửi các Cơ quan Liên bang của Tổng Chưởng lý Eric Holder Tái phê chuẩn Sắc lệnh Hành pháp 13166 (Mandates of Executive Order 13166) – 17 tháng 2 năm 2011 (Vietnamese)
Assistant Attorney General Boyd Memorandum to Heads of Federal Agencies, General Counsels, and Civil Rights Directors concerning Tools to Ensure Implementation and Understanding of Executive Order 13166, November 12, 2002